When We Truly Know God: From Suffering to Deeper Faith
When We Truly Know God: From Suffering to Deeper Faith
“Now I know you, not only by hearsay.”
Readings:
First Reading - Job 42:1-3, 5-6, 12-17
Responsorial Psalm - Psalm 119:66, 71, 75, 91, 125, 130
Alleluia - Matthew 11:25
Gospel Reading - Luke 10:17-24
Reflection
The readings today invite us to discover a deeper kind of faith—one that does not depend on having all the answers, but on learning to trust God even when we do not understand His ways.
Job has experienced tremendous suffering. He has questioned, searched, and struggled to understand why such painful things happened to him. But after encountering God, Job reaches a profound realization:
“I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you.”
Job's suffering did not give him every answer to life's questions. Instead, it brought him into a deeper relationship with God.
There is a difference between knowing about God and truly knowing God.
We can hear about God's goodness from others. We can read Scripture, attend Mass, pray, and learn about our faith. But there are moments in life when our faith must move from something we have heard into something we personally experience.
God Can Use Difficult Seasons to Deepen Our Faith
Job says:
“I know that you can do all things.”
This is the heart of his transformation.
Job does not say, “Now I understand everything.”
He says, in effect, “Now I know who You are.”
Sometimes God does not immediately explain the reason behind our suffering. There may be situations for which we never receive a complete explanation in this life.
But faith teaches us that the absence of an explanation does not mean the absence of God.
God was present with Job even when Job could not understand what was happening.
Perhaps you are going through a season you do not understand. You may be asking:
Today's first reading reminds us: Keep seeking God. Keep trusting Him. Your unanswered questions do not make God absent.
“It Is Good That I Was Afflicted”
Psalm 119 gives us another surprising perspective:
“It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I may learn your statutes.”
This does not mean that suffering itself is good or that we should desire pain.
Rather, the Psalmist recognizes that even painful experiences can become occasions through which God teaches, corrects, strengthens, and transforms us.
Some lessons cannot be learned through comfort alone.
The important question is not only, “Why am I suffering?”
Sometimes we also need to ask:
“Lord, what are You teaching me through this season?”
The Humble Receive What the Proud Miss
In the Gospel, Jesus rejoices in the Father and says:
“You have hidden these things from the wise and the learned, and revealed them to the childlike.”
Jesus is not condemning wisdom or education. Rather, He is teaching us that spiritual understanding requires humility.
A person can know many things and still fail to recognize God.
The childlike heart says:
“Lord, I don't know everything. Teach me.”
That is exactly what Psalm 119 expresses:
“Give me discernment that I may learn your commandments.”
We should never become too proud to learn from God.
Prayer begins when we stop saying, “I already know,” and begin saying, “Lord, teach me.”
Do Not Let Success Become Greater Than Christ
In Luke's Gospel, the disciples return from their mission rejoicing because they have experienced spiritual victories.
Jesus acknowledges their experience, but He directs their attention to something deeper.
He tells them not to rejoice merely because they have accomplished impressive things, but to rejoice because their names are written in heaven.
This is an important lesson for us.
We can become excited about achievements:
how much money we make,
how many people know us,
how successful our work becomes,
how many followers we have,
how many prayers seem to be answered,
how many accomplishments we can list.
But Jesus reminds us that our greatest treasure is not what we accomplish for God, but belonging to God.
Our identity must come before our achievements.
Blessed Are the Eyes That See
Jesus tells His disciples:
“Blessed are the eyes that see what you see.”
The disciples were living in a remarkable moment. They were witnessing the presence and ministry of Christ.
We too have been given many blessings that we can easily overlook.
The question is:
Do we recognize the treasures God has already placed before us?
Sometimes we spend so much time asking God for what we do not have that we fail to thank Him for what we have already received.
From “I Heard” to “I Know”
Job's journey gives us a beautiful spiritual progression:
I heard about God → I encountered God → I trusted God → I surrendered to God.
That is the journey of faith.
Christianity is not simply about collecting religious information. It is about encountering a living God and allowing that encounter to transform our lives.
Job came through suffering with a deeper knowledge of God.
The disciples came back from mission with joy.
The Psalmist discovered wisdom through God's instruction.
And Jesus teaches us that the humble heart is capable of receiving what God reveals.
What This Means for Us Today
When life becomes difficult, do not immediately conclude that God has abandoned you.
When you do not understand, remain humble.
When you are successful, remain grateful.
When you experience suffering, ask what God may be teaching you.
When you accomplish something good, remember that your greatest joy is not your achievement but your relationship with Christ.
And when you pray, do not be afraid to say:
“Lord, I do not understand everything, but I trust You. Teach me to see You more clearly.”
A Prayer
Lord Jesus,
Teach me to know You more deeply, not merely by hearing about You but through a living relationship with You.
Help me to have the humble heart of a child—ready to listen, ready to learn, and ready to trust.
May I never value my achievements more than I value You.
Open my eyes to recognize the blessings You have already given me. Help me to rejoice not simply because things are going well, but because I belong to You and my name is written in heaven.
Lord, take me from merely hearing about You to truly knowing You.
Amen.
Reflection Question
Am I seeking God mainly for what He can give me, or am I learning to rejoice simply because I know Him and belong to Him?
Comments