Nothing Is Greater Than Christ: The Cost of Following Jesus
Nothing Is Greater Than Christ: The Cost of Following Jesus
When We Truly Know Christ, We Learn to Trust Him, Let Go, and Follow Without Looking Back
Readings:
First Reading - Job 9:1–12, 14–16
Responsorial Psalm - Psalm 88:10–15
Alleluia - Philippians 3:8–9
Gospel Reading - Luke 9:57–62
God Is Greater Than Our Understanding
Job is going through tremendous suffering, and he struggles to understand God's ways. He recognizes the greatness and wisdom of God and realizes that human beings cannot fully comprehend everything God does.
This is an important lesson for our own lives.
There are times when we ask:
Sometimes we may not receive an immediate answer.
Faith does not mean that we understand everything God is doing. Faith means that even when we cannot understand God's plan, we continue to trust God Himself.
God sees what we cannot see.
A Prayer from the Darkness
Psalm 88 is one of the Bible's most sorrowful prayers. The psalmist cries out to God from a place of deep darkness and uncertainty, yet he continues to pray.
This teaches us something beautiful:
You can be hurting and still pray.
You can be confused and still pray.
You can feel abandoned and still call upon God.
You do not have to hide your pain from Him.
God can handle our honest prayers.
When we have no words except, “Lord, hear me,” that prayer itself can become an act of faith.
Knowing Christ Is Worth More Than Everything
Paul gives us the heart of today's message:
“I consider everything as loss because of the supreme good of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.”
Paul discovered something greater than possessions, status, achievements, and human recognition:
Christ Himself.
There is a difference between knowing about Jesus and truly knowing Jesus.
We can know Scripture without allowing Scripture to transform us.
We can attend church without surrendering our lives to Christ.
We can speak about faith without making Christ the centre of our decisions.
Paul's desire was not simply to receive blessings from Christ.
His greatest desire was to gain Christ and be found in Him.
That is the heart of Christian discipleship.
“Follow Me”
In the Gospel, Jesus encounters people who express a desire to follow Him. Yet their responses reveal how easily we can place conditions on discipleship.
One says, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
Another says, “Let me go first…”
Another says, “I will follow you, Lord, but first…”
Jesus responds with words that emphasize the seriousness and unconditional nature of following Him.
Jesus is not teaching us to neglect legitimate responsibilities or relationships. Rather, He is challenging anything that becomes an excuse for refusing God's call.
Sometimes our “but first” can become:
“But first I need to become successful.”
“But first I need more money.”
“But first I need everything to be comfortable.”
“But first I need to solve every problem.”
“But first, when I have more time, I will serve God.”
And suddenly, “but first” becomes “maybe later.”
Do Not Look Back
Jesus says:
“No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the Kingdom of God.”
A person plowing a field must look ahead to keep the furrow straight.
In the same way, following Christ requires direction.
There will be things we must leave behind:
old sins,
destructive habits,
unhealthy attachments,
fear,
pride,
resentment,
and anything that continually pulls our hearts away from God.
Following Christ means saying:
“Lord, You are worth more than what I am leaving behind.”
Christ Must Become Our Greatest Treasure
The readings bring us to one central question:
What is Jesus worth to me?
If Christ is only one part of our lives, we may easily abandon Him when following becomes difficult.
But when Christ becomes our treasure, we can surrender everything else into His hands.
Paul discovered that nothing compared with knowing Christ.
The psalmist continued to call upon God even in darkness.
Job acknowledged that God's wisdom was greater than his own understanding.
And Jesus calls us to follow Him without allowing excuses to continually delay our response.
Follow Him Today
You do not have to understand everything before you follow Jesus.
You do not have to have every answer.
You do not have to know exactly what tomorrow will bring.
You simply need to take the next faithful step.
Pray.
Forgive.
Serve.
Repent.
Love.
Give.
Trust.
And keep your eyes on Christ.
The journey may involve sacrifice, uncertainty, and moments of darkness. But the greatest treasure is not what we gain along the way.
The greatest treasure is Christ Himself.
Prayer
Lord Jesus,
Teach me to know You more deeply.
When I do not understand what is happening in my life, give me the faith to trust You.
When I am surrounded by darkness, teach me to continue praying.
Free my heart from anything that keeps me from following You wholeheartedly.
Help me to let go of whatever I must leave behind and give me courage to move forward.
May I never place endless conditions on my obedience.
Take away my excuses, my fears, and my divided heart.
Help me to value knowing You above possessions, achievements, recognition, and worldly success.
When You say, “Follow Me,” give me the grace to answer:
“Yes, Lord. I will follow You.”
May my eyes remain fixed on You, my heart remain faithful, and my life become a witness to Your love.
Amen.
Reflection Question
What is the “but first” in my life that is keeping me from following Christ more completely?
Comments