A Love That Knows No Limits

 



A Love That Knows No Limits


Readings 
First Reading - 1 Corinthians 15: 1-11 
Responsorial Psalm - Psalm 118: 1-2.  15-17. 28
Alleluia - Matthew 11:28 
Gospel Reading - Luke 7: 36-50

When We Encounter Christ, Grace Transforms Our Past and Gives Us a New Beginning

Today’s readings invite us to reflect on grace, forgiveness, faith, and the transforming power of an encounter with Jesus.

In the first reading, St. Paul reminds the Corinthians of the Gospel he received and preached to them: Christ died for our sins, was buried, and was raised from the dead. This is the heart of Christian faith. Our hope is not based on our own perfection but on what Christ has accomplished for us.

Paul also speaks honestly about his own past. He remembers that he persecuted the Church and considered himself unworthy to be called an apostle. Yet he says:

“By the grace of God I am what I am.”

This is a powerful message for anyone who feels defined by their past.

Your past may explain some things about you, but your past does not have the final word over your life. God's grace can reach a person where they are and lead them into something new.

The Gospel gives us a beautiful picture of this transforming grace.

Jesus is dining at the house of Simon the Pharisee when a woman known publicly as a sinner enters. She approaches Jesus with a jar of ointment, stands behind Him weeping, washes His feet with her tears, wipes them with her hair, kisses His feet, and anoints them.

Simon looks at the woman and sees her past.

Jesus looks at her and sees her heart.

That difference is important.

Sometimes people remember what someone has done wrong long after God has begun restoring that person. We can become so focused on another person's mistakes that we fail to see God's grace working in their life.

But Jesus does not humiliate this woman.

He receives her.

He understands her tears.

He recognizes that her actions are flowing from a heart that has encountered mercy.

Jesus then tells Simon the story of two people whose debts were forgiven. One owed much, the other owed less. Both were unable to repay, but the creditor forgave them both.

Jesus asks which one would love him more.

The answer is obvious: the one who was forgiven more.

Jesus is teaching us something deeper than simply comparing sins. He is teaching us that an awareness of mercy produces gratitude and love.

When we understand how much God has forgiven us, we become less judgmental toward others.

We stop saying, “Look at what that person has done.”

Instead, we begin saying, “Lord, thank You for Your mercy toward me.”

This connects beautifully with the words of the Gospel acclamation:

“Come to me, all you who labour and are burdened, and I will give you rest.”

The woman came to Jesus carrying the weight of her past. She did not come pretending to be perfect. She came with tears.

And Jesus gave her something greater than condemnation.

He gave her peace.

There are people today carrying heavy burdens—guilt, shame, regret, rejection, failure, disappointment, and memories they wish they could erase.

Today's Gospel reminds us that Jesus does not say, “Clean yourself up first, then come to Me.”

He says, “Come to Me.”

Come with your weakness.

Come with your tears.

Come with your mistakes.

Come with your wounded heart.

Come with the things you cannot fix by yourself.

Christ's invitation is not an invitation to remain trapped in sin. It is an invitation to receive mercy and allow His grace to transform us.

The woman entered the house known as a sinner, but she left with the assurance of Jesus:

“Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

What a beautiful ending.

She came carrying shame.

She left carrying peace.

She came with tears.

She left with hope.

She came conscious of her past.

She left with a future.

The Psalm gives us the appropriate response:

“Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his mercy endures forever.”

God's mercy is not a temporary emotion. His mercy endures.

And St. Paul gives us another reason for hope. He himself experienced the transforming power of grace. The man who once persecuted the Church became one of Christ's greatest proclaimers of the Gospel.

Therefore, never conclude that someone's story is finished because of their past.

And never conclude that your own story is finished because of your failures.

Grace can write a new chapter.

Today, let us ask ourselves:

Do I truly appreciate God's forgiveness in my own life?

Do I judge others by their past while asking God to judge me by His mercy?

Have I allowed shame to keep me away from Jesus?

Am I willing to bring my wounds and failures to Christ?

The woman in the Gospel teaches us that we do not need perfect words to approach Jesus. Sometimes tears are our prayer. Sometimes silence is our prayer. Sometimes simply coming before Christ with a humble heart is enough.

Jesus knows our story completely—and He still invites us closer.

Prayer

Lord Jesus,
I come before You with all that I am—
my strengths, my weaknesses, my victories, and my failures.

Thank You for Your mercy that never gives up on me.

Help me not to be imprisoned by my past.
Heal the wounds I carry in my heart
and give me the courage to receive Your forgiveness.

Teach me to look at others with mercy rather than condemnation.
Help me remember how much You have forgiven me
so that I may become more loving and compassionate toward others.

When I am tired, give me rest.
When I am ashamed, remind me of Your mercy.
When I fall, help me rise again.
When I feel unworthy, remind me that Your grace is greater than my failures.

Like St. Paul, may I be able to say,
“By the grace of God I am what I am.”

And like the woman who came to Your feet,
may I leave Your presence with a renewed heart,
a stronger faith, and the peace that only You can give.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love That Endures: The Greatest Gift Is Love

The Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Seeing Yourself as a Kingdom Financier

St. John Chrysostom: A Voice of Truth, Courage, and Holiness

Saints Cornelius and Cyprian: United in Faith, Courage, and Martyrdom