A Time for Everything: Following Christ Through Every Season

 







A Time for Everything: Following Christ Through Every Season


Readings:
First Reading -  Ecclesiastes 3:1-11
Responsorial Psalm - Psalm 144:1-4
Alleuia -  Mark 10:45
Gospel Reading - Luke 9:18-22

When We Trust God’s Timing, We Learn to Serve, Surrender, and Follow Christ

There is “a time for everything” under heaven. Ecclesiastes reminds us that life moves through different seasons—times of joy and sorrow, beginnings and endings, planting and harvesting, silence and speaking. We do not control every season, but we can choose how we walk through it.

Sometimes we become frustrated because we want God to change our circumstances immediately. We want the season of waiting to end, the season of difficulty to disappear, or the season of blessing to arrive sooner. But God sees the whole journey while we often see only one moment.

The Scripture tells us that God has made everything appropriate in its time. Our responsibility is not to control every season but to remain faithful in every season.

God Is Our Rock

The Psalm declares:

“Blessed be the Lord, my Rock!”

Human life is fragile. We are described as being like a breath and our days like a passing shadow. Yet our weakness does not mean that our lives are meaningless.

It means that we need God.

When everything around us changes, God remains our Rock. When plans change, God remains. When people come and go, God remains. When one season closes and another begins, God remains.

Therefore, our confidence should not be built only on what we possess, accomplish, or understand. Our confidence must be rooted in the One who holds our lives.

Jesus Shows Us What True Greatness Means

The Alleluia reminds us:

“The Son of Man came to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Jesus did not define greatness by power, possessions, popularity, or position. He defined greatness through service and sacrifice.

This challenges us to ask ourselves:

Am I living only for what I can receive, or am I also living for what I can give?

Every season of our life gives us an opportunity to serve.

When we have abundance, we can give.

When we have knowledge, we can teach.

When we have strength, we can support someone who is weak.

When we have experienced God's mercy, we can extend mercy to others.

And even when we are going through difficulty, our lives can still become a testimony of faith.

“Who Do You Say That I Am?”

In the Gospel, Jesus asks His disciples a deeply personal question:

“But who do you say that I am?”

Peter answers:

“The Christ of God.”

This is more than a question about knowledge. It is a question about relationship.

It is possible to know what people say about Jesus without truly knowing Him ourselves.

We may know His teachings.

We may attend Mass.

We may read the Bible.

We may pray.

But Jesus still asks each of us:

Who am I to you?

Is He simply someone you read about?

Or is He truly your Lord, your Saviour, your Rock, and the centre of your life?

Jesus then reveals that His path will include suffering, rejection, death, and resurrection. This teaches us something important: following Christ does not mean that every season will be easy.

Tphere will be seasons of sacrifice.

There will be seasons of waiting.

There will be seasons when we do not understand what God is doing.

But the Christian does not walk through those seasons alone.

Your Current Season Is Not Your Whole Story

Perhaps you are currently in a season of waiting.

Perhaps you are rebuilding.

Perhaps you are grieving.

Perhaps you are beginning something new.

Perhaps you are experiencing success.

Whatever season you are in, do not mistake the season for the whole story.

A difficult season can prepare you.

A waiting season can deepen your faith.

A season of service can shape your character.

A season of blessing can teach you gratitude.

And a season of suffering can draw you closer to Christ.

God is still working.

The invitation today is simple:

Trust God's timing.

Stand on Christ, your Rock.

Serve others.

And remain faithful in every season.

Because Jesus is not merely asking us to recognize Him as the Christ. He is inviting us to follow Him—even when the road leads through sacrifice toward resurrection.

Prayer

Lord Jesus,

You are my Rock, my Saviour, and my Lord.

Teach me to trust You in every season of my life.

When I am joyful, keep me grateful.

When I am waiting, keep me patient.

When I am suffering, keep me faithful.

When I am blessed, teach me to serve.

When I do not understand Your plan, help me trust Your wisdom.

May I never forget that every season has a purpose in Your hands.

Give me the grace to follow You faithfully,

to serve with love,

and to recognize You as the Christ in every part of my journey.

Amen.

Reflection Question

What season of life am I in right now, and how is God inviting me to trust Him and serve others through it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Seed to Harvest: Let the Word of God Take Root

From Saying “Yes” to Living “Yes

Trust God and Go: Living with Enough, Walking by Faith

Time Alone with God: The Ultimate Form of Self-Care

The Exaltation of the Holy Cross